Thursday, May 14, 2009

And Now for a New Chapter...

My trip to Uganda, departure time minus 2 and a half weeks, has prompted this blog. I had abandoned the world of blogging early in my undergrad in a rebellious attempt to make more private my life that was all of a sudden becoming public and digital via xanga, instant messaging, texting, etc. Craving a simpler existence and more intimate connections, I remember furiously withdrawing from the online world and rebelling against technology by deleting my blogs and instant messengers, and refusing to update any piece of machinery I owned. (Yes, for those of you who remember taunting me, I proudly owned the same cell phone and laptop for 5 and 7 years respectively without upgrading…). So why return to blogging now? Why the change of heart?

I have been journaling for the past 6 months almost every day like a madwoman. Late at night on the computer, in the middle of the day on napkins, on the margins of readings for class. Most of it is poorly written stream of consciousness as I try to make sense my role as a bi-cultural woman of color social worker, my definition of feminism, my previous traveling experiences, and some not too distant heart ache. More recently I’ve been confronting my multi-racial and ethnic identity and family in a personal and historical context, assessing being an older sister to a younger brother who has developmental and behavioral issues, and mentally preparing for this trip to Uganda. This blog will likely hold all of the above, but mostly in context of this upcoming trip, which I have the feeling will be pivotal for me regarding my ideas about the work I wish to do in the world. Like most journaling, this is probably more for me than for you. Yet, this is also for my family and close friends so that they can (for once) track my whereabouts and share in my experiences. With that being said... here goes nothing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited. For now, a poem about climbing:

    could be it craves
    to be pruned and tended--
    the wild apple
    with its stair-step branches
    offering a way to climb

    Kirsty Karkow

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel you woman!!!! i did the same thing after i graduated from college, deleting IM, xanga, etc (what Asian has not had a xanga in the last decade) and i've only rejoined the technology world after i got back from cambodia... haha... i've got an email to you in the draft folder... on its way to you soon!

    ReplyDelete